Saturday, August 20, 2011

Back to reality

Now that I'm back in Montreal and Frosh week is winding down (aka no more Boustan, Pizza, beer and fast food eats) I thought it was about time to reincorporate vegetables into my diet. Checking out what I had in the fridge I decided to recreate the famous Montreal bagel and locks, but this time in the form of a salad. After spending all summer in Asia I feel like I've missed out on the summer season of fresh vegetables in Montreal so this is one recipe that will help me compensate. And boy did I miss fresh fish while I was away!

Bagel and Locks Salad

Ingredients
2 cups baby spinach or fresh salad greens
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 spring onions, diced
1/4 cup low fat Kraft cream cheese divided into two parts
2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3-4 slices of fresh smoked salmon
Bagel chips to serve

In a bowl, combined the spring onions, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and half the cream cheese. Whisk together and add a tbsp water to thin the dressing. Season with fresh cracked pepper. In a salad bowl add the spinach and layer with tomatoes and slices of salmon. Add the rest of the cream cheese (either in chunks or cubes). Sprinkle on a few capers and sliced spring onions as a garnish and add a generous amount of cream cheese dressing.

I didn't have any bagels in the house today but I recommend slicing a bagel very thinly (into chip like pieces) and toasting them in the oven. They go great with the salad and add a nice crunch.


Fresh salad greens

Dressing - capers, cream cheese, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice

Fresh garden cherry tomatoes

Cream cheese dressing

Fresh smoked salmon

Cream cheese

Salad complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment